Grant for Seniors to offset a municipal tax increase

Easy application

Tax filing required

The Grant for Seniors to offset a municipal tax increase aims to give tax relief if your taxes have increased due to a significant increase in the value of your home.

You may be able to get this grant if you meet all the following:

  • On December 31, 2021:
    • You were resident in Québec.
    • You were 65 or over.
    • You had owned your residence for at least 15 consecutive years (note that this period can include a period during which your spouse owned the residence before transferring ownership to you).
  • Your residence is an entirely residential assessment unit consisting of only one dwelling, and it serves as your principal residence.
  • You received (or were entitled to receive) a municipal tax bill in your name for the residence for 2022. If you co-owned the residence, the municipal tax bill may have been issued in another co-owner's name.
  • Your family income for 2021 (the amount on line 275 of your income tax return plus, if you had a spouse on December 31, 2021, the amount on line 275 of his or her return) was $54,700 or less.

You must also meet at least one of the following two conditions:

  • The potential grant (determined using the current assessment roll) is shown on either your 2022 municipal tax bill or the document entitled Amount of the Potential Grant to Offset a Municipal Tax Increase that was issued by your municipality.
  • You or a co-owner of the residence received a grant in the last year covered by the previous assessment roll.

Complete the form TP-1029.TM-V, Grant for Seniors to Offset a Municipal Tax Increase and enclose the form with your tax return.

Last updated: June 2, 2022