In order for the Québec education savings incentive (QESI) to be paid into a child's RESP for a given taxation year, the child must meet all of the following conditions:
- The child must be less than 18 years old (special requirements apply if the child is 16 or 17 at the end of the taxation year).
- The child must have a social insurance number.
- The child must be resident in Québec on December 31 of the taxation year.
- The child must be designated a beneficiary of the concerned registered education savings plan (RESP).
Proof of residency in Province
- lease agreement
- rent receipt
- household bill
- cable television
- driver's license
- vehicle registration or car insurance
- membership in social or professional organization
- bank information
- employment information
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
You cannot apply for the Québec education savings incentive (QESI) in your income tax return. The trustee of the registered education savings plan (RESP) will apply for it with Revenu Québec on your behalf. The trustee must apply for the QESI within three years after the year in which the contributions are paid.
For more information, contact a financial institution or any RESP provider offering the QESI.