Before you start, you may want to use the SimulAide tool provided by Emploi Quebec to assess whether you might be eligible for social assistance.
Conditions to be met if you are 18 years of age or older:
- You can show that your resources (money, property, earnings, benefits and income) are equal to or less than the scales set by regulation (How the benefit is calculated).
- You live in Quebec.
Conditions to be met if you are 18 years old or younger:
- You can demonstrate that your resources (money, property, earnings, benefits and income) are equal to or less than the scales set by regulation (How the benefit is calculated)
- You live in Quebec
- You are married or have already been married or are the parent of a dependent child.
Proof of legal status
A document showing citizenship or immigration status in Canada. For example:
- citizenship certificate
- confirmation document
- record of landing, confirmation of permanent residence;
- permanent resident card
- visitor record
- temporary resident permit
- study permit
- positive notice of decision
- verification of status document
- registration date with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- foreign passport
Proof of birth
A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:
- Birth certificate or birth registration
- Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
- Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Citizenship certificate
- Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Certificate of Indian status card
- Provincial identity card
- driver’s license
- other government-issued photo ID, such as a non-driver photo ID (Saskatchewan), British Columbia Services Card, Ontario photo card, General identification card (Nunavut), Voluntary ID (PEI), etc.
Social Insurance Number
- confirmation of SIN letter
- plastic SIN card (non-expired)
Once you have confirmed that you may be eligible for the Social Assistance program, you will need to fill out some Financial Assistance application forms.
You can complete the forms online: Apply for Social Assistance Online.
You can also submit your application by filling in forms which you can download from Financial Assistance Application Forms.
When submitting your application, you can choose to submit your forms online, by mail or in-person.
Once your application has been accepted, you will receive notice of the decision by mail within 5 business days.