Rental Housing for People with Low Incomes

Easy application

Tax filing not required

The Social Housing Program provides safe and adequate housing to families and seniors with low incomes and people with disabilities. This program subsidizes rent according to the degree of financial need.

The program:

  • provides housing to those who do not have the resources to obtain adequate, suitable and affordable shelter;
  • sets rent at 30 per cent of the household's income (subject to the minimum and maximum rents);
  • provides housing that may be more affordable and suitable than what is available in the community for those with accessibility needs; and
  • is available in over 300 communities in Saskatchewan.

For emergency shelter, contact the shelters in your community. If you require information about emergency shelters, you can visit, text “Hello” to 211, or call 211.

To be eligible for the social housing program if:

  • You are legally allowed to reside in Canada (Canadian citizen, permanent resident, refugee claimant, temporary resident with current work or study permit).
  • You have gross income and assets below the program limits.
  • You must be able to live independently. This independence may include support from family, the community, or other agencies.

Priority is given to seniors (55+), families with children or dependants, and individuals with disabilities who are in greatest housing need. Seniors who do not meet the eligibility criteria for the Social Housing Program may be eligible for our other housing programs.

Some communities have fully accessible units for people with disabilities.

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Social Insurance Number

For example:

  • confirmation of SIN letter
  • plastic SIN card (non-expired)

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

To apply, complete the Housing Application and submit it to your local housing authority:

If you want a paper copy of the Housing Application or need assistance applying, please contact your local housing authority or Saskatchewan Housing Corporation at 306-787-4177 (toll free at 1-800-667-7567).

After reviewing your application, the housing authority will call you for an interview to fully assess your need for housing and understand your housing preferences.

Last updated: October 27, 2021