Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit

Easy application

Tax filing required

The Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit provides a portion of rent to eligible low-to moderate-income renters in Yukon. It is provided by the Yukon Housing Corporation.

You are eligible for the Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit if:

  • You are a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident or refugee status.
  • You are a Yukon resident for at least 3 months.
  • You are renting a house in Yukon and are not receiving any other housing benefit or subsidy.
  • You have an annual household income under the Affordable Household Income Limits for the size of your unit.
  • You have less than $100,000 in assets.
  • You have filed an annual Canadian Income Tax Return.
  • You have income from one of the following sources:
    • Employment.
    • Employment Insurance.
    • Short-term Workers Compensation.
    • Short-term disability.
    • Alimony payments.
    • Training Allowance.
    • Old Age Security.
    • Guaranteed Income Supplement.
    • Pension income.

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

Photo ID

For example:

  • driver’s license
  • passport
  • other government-issued photo ID, such as a non-driver photo ID (Saskatchewan), British Columbia Services Card, Ontario photo card, General identification card (Nunavut), Voluntary ID (PEI), etc.

You will need to download and fill out the Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit application form.

You will also need to include the following required documents:

  • One piece of government issued photo identification for all persons 19 years old and over in your household.
  • One piece of government issues identification for all persons 18 years old and under in your household.
  • A current Proof of Income Statement from the Canada Revenue Agency for every member of your household over 19 years old. To contact the Canada Revenue Agency call 1-866-426-1527.
  • A copy of your current lease agreement.

You will then need to submit your completed application form and required documents to the Yukon Housing Corporation. You can drop your application off:

You will receive a letter letting you know your application has been received.

For more information about the Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit, email housingbenefit@yukon.ca or phone 867-667-5712 or toll-free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 5759.

Last updated: March 18, 2021