Find Respite Care for a Child with a Disability

Complex application

Tax filing not required

Respite care is temporary, short-term care of children with disabilities. Its purpose is to provide rest and relief to you, the parent. Respite helps strengthen your family’s ability to care for your child at home. Caregivers provide respite care either in or outside your family home. This support does not replace regular early intervention programs, preschool programs, daycare, before or after school care or work-related child-care arrangements.

You are eligible if:

  • You are a Yukon resident.
  • Your child is under 19 years of age.
  • Your child was diagnosed with a disability or identified as possibly having a disability by a qualified health care professional.
  • You have accessed other resources, such as private insurance or employee benefits, before contacting Children’s Disability Services.

  1. Someone working with your child, such as a doctor or teacher can make a referral with your permission.
  2. To determine if you are eligible for the services, you (or the person referring) must provide:
    • The child’s full name
    • Date of birth
    • Type of disability, if known
    • Caregiver names
    • Any relevant reports.
  3. A social worker will arrange a meeting to discuss your family’s needs. Visits can take place at your home, the Children’s Disability Services office or elsewhere.
  4. This meeting will be about 1 hour long. A follow-up meeting may be needed. At this initial meeting, the social worker will:
    • Gather information about your child’s needs
    • Review consent and confidentiality forms
    • Discuss alternate supports and services
    • Share information on the supports and services available.
  5. You will need to get a report or assessment to identify how your child’s disability significantly limits their ability to function in daily life.
  6. The social worker will contact you to follow up.
  7. If your child and family are eligible for funding or services, it may take 4 to 6 weeks to set up the funding.


To make a referral or ask questions about the programs, phone 867-393-7464, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 7464. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

In person: 49B Waterfront Place in Whitehorse.

Last updated: April 7, 2021