Pioneer Utility Grant

Complex application

Tax filing required

The Pioneer Utility Grant (PUG) helps Yukon seniors with the cost of heating their homes, whether owning or renting. The Pioneer Utility Grant is not available to those living in social housing. The grant applies to heating from oil, electricity, wood, propane or wood pellets. You must apply every year for the Pioneer Utility Grant.

The grant is based on your income, marital status and residential address. This means that everyone’s grant amount is different. In 2020, the maximum grant amount is:

  • $ 1,173 if you live within Whitehorse city limits.
  • $1,257 if you live outside Whitehorse city limits.

Your Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment determines your income for the grant. Seniors with low incomes will receive the full grant, while those with higher incomes will receive less or may not be eligible.

You can estimate your grant amount before applying by using the Pioneer Utility Grant calculator.

You are eligible for the Pioneer Utility Grant if:

  • You are a Yukon senior who is 65 years or older in the year of the grant.
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who has lived in Yukon for at least 12 months.
  • You are a Yukoner who lives in the Yukon for at least 183 days every year. Three months of these 183 days must be during the winter from October to March.

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

You will need to first review the information for Yukon seniors, elders and service providersbefore downloading and filling out the Pioneer Utility Grant application form.

You will also need to include the following required documents:

  • A photocopy of your Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) notice of assessment as proof of your income. This photocopy should:
    • Include pages that show your name and line 236.
    • Black out your social insurance number at the top of the notice and all other lines except for line 236.
    • Include the notice of assessment for your spouse, even if they are under the age of 65.
  • If you own your home, you will need to include:
    • A copy of your 2018 Property Assessment Notice.
    • Either the GREEN Government of Yukon form or a property assessment statement stamped by Community Services.
    • A municipal water and sewer bill if it clearly identifies your physical address
  • If you rent or lease your home, you will need to include:

Applications for the Pioneer Utility Grant are accepted from July 1 to December 31, with extensions until January 31 possible in exceptional medical circumstances.

If you have an extended vacation during the first 6 months of the year you must delay submitting your application for the Pioneer Utility Grant. For example, if you travel south on vacation for the entire month of February, you cannot apply until November 1. You would need January, March and October to count as your winter months.

Once you have completed the application and gathered all necessary documents, you can submit your application:

  • In person from July 1 to December 31 at the Income Support Unit at 3168 – 3rd Avenue in Whitehorse, or one of the Regional Service Offices in the communities.
  • By mail to:
    Pioneer Utility Grant (PUG) (H-4)
    Health and Social Services, Government of Yukon
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

If your application is complete, you can expect your Pioneer Utility Grant within 30 working days. However, if your application is incomplete, you will receive it mailed back to you within 10 days including a letter detailing what is missing in your application.

If you need to report a change of address phone the Pioneer Utility Grant helpline at 867-667-5750 or call toll-free at 1-800-661-0408 extension 5750.

For other questions about applying to the Pioneer Utility Grant call the helpline at 867-667-5750 or call toll-free at 1-800-661-0408 extension 5750.

Last updated: March 18, 2021