You are eligible for the Rural Home Ownership Program if:
- You are building or purchasing a new home for your primary residence in a Yukon community outside Whitehorse.
- You fall within the government’s established debt-to-loan ratios
- You cannot get a loan from a bank.
- You have a 2.5% down payment for the home.
- You can build or buy a new home on First Nations land, depending upon your arrangements with Yukon First Nations.
If you are building your own home, you must show that you have the required skills and experience to complete the project.
You will first need to complete the rural home ownership loan application form and the verification of employment form.
Once you have completed these forms, you will need to submit both of them and any required supporting documents either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at 410 Jarvis Street, Whitehorse, Yukon.
You have up to 2 years to complete construction, whether you hire a company to build or undertake the project on your own.
If your application is successful, there are certain loan financing details you should keep in mind:
- The loan is amortized up to 30 years in 5-ear terms
- You can make interest only payments during construction
- The interest rate of the loan will be at or below 1% of the average posted rates. This is the posted 5-year average interest rate at major banks
You will have to prove you are bank ineligible every five years after year 10.
If you have any questions about applying for the Rural Home Ownership Loan Program, send email to email@example.com or phone 867-667-5759 or toll free in Yukon at 1-800-661-0408 extension 5759.