Seniors’ Property Tax Deferment

Easy application

Tax filing required

The seniors’ property tax deferment program allows you to postpone paying your property taxes. You can defer up to 75% of the assessed value of your home. You can defer all or part of your home’s annual property taxes minus the Home Owners Grant for the current or subsequent taxation year.

To be eligible for the seniors’ property tax deferment, you must provide proof of being 65 years of age or older and must live outside of municipalities in areas where the Government of Yukon is the taxation authority. You must own and live in your own home.

Types of homes that are eligible:

  • A home or mobile home you own and in which you normally reside. This will be the same property on which you claim the Home Owners Grant.
  • If you have a home under an agreement to purchase or a long-term Crown lease, you may qualify.

Types of homes not eligible:

  • Second homes such as cottages, cabins and rental properties are not eligible.

You can apply to defer all or part of your taxes any time of the year after January 1. If you apply after July 2, you may have to pay penalties and interest on unpaid taxes for the year.

  1. Contact the Property Assessment and Taxation office or a Territorial Agent to get an application.
    Email: assessment.taxation@yukon.ca Phone: 867-667-5268 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5268.
  2. Submit your completed application.
    Drop box: 308 Steele Street, Whitehorse, Yukon. The Whitehorse office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  3. The staff will let you know if you are eligible when you apply.

Please note that the drop-in front-counter services have been temporarily suspended to respect physical distancing measures. Clients are encouraged to do as much of their branch business online or by phone, when possible. When that is not possible, you are asked to make an appointment.

For questions about applying for the seniors' tax deferment email assessment.taxation@gov.yk.ca or phone: 867-667-5268 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5268.

Last updated: September 27, 2022