Social Housing

Easy application

Tax filing required

Social housing helps Yukoners in need of affordable, suitable, and accessible housing. Social housing rent is geared to your income. This means that rent is calculated as 25% of our total gross monthly household combined income.

You are eligible for social housing in Yukon if:

  • You are a Yukon resident.
  • You are a low-income individual, family or senior who can’t find affordable and suitable housing on the private market.
  • Your household income is below the current housing income limits thresholds.
  • You are in good standing with the Yukon Housing Corporation.

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

Photo ID

For example:

  • driver’s license
  • passport
  • other government-issued photo ID, such as a non-driver photo ID (Saskatchewan), British Columbia Services Card, Ontario photo card, General identification card (Nunavut), Voluntary ID (PEI), etc.

Proof of  residency in Province

For example:

  • lease agreement
  • rent receipt
  • household bill
    • gas
    • electricity
    • cable television
    • telephone
  • driver's license
  • vehicle registration or car insurance
  • membership in social or professional organization
  • Other:
    • bank information
    • employment information

You will need to complete the social housing rent geared to inome application package. If you need immediate housing, make sure that you complete the priority consideration section of the application.

You will also need to provide one piece of government-issued photo ID if you are 19 years of age or older, or one piece of government-issued ID if you are under 19.

If you are 19 or older, you will also need to include your Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada.

Once you have compiled these documents, you can submit your completed application package in person at 410 Jarvis Street in Whitehorse or at your local Community Housing office.

Your application will be assessed based on your needs and the availability of housing units.

If you have any difficulty applying for social housing or any questions, email ykhouse@yukon.ca or call 867-667-5759 or toll-free in Yukon at 1-800-661-0408 extension 5759.

Last updated: March 25, 2021