Social Housing Rent Reduction

Complex application

Tax filing not required

If you are a social housing tenant in Yukon Housing Corporation housing, you can apply to have your rent reduced for up to 3 months.

You are eligible for the social housing rent reduction if:

  • You are a Yukon Housing Corporation social housing tenant
  • Your income has been reduced by 20% or more.

Pay stubs

A document (can be paper or digital) that your employer gives to you each time you are paid. It says how much you were paid, and how much was deducted (taken away) from your pay for things like taxes and other benefits (like Employment Insurance)

Proof of housing situation

For example:

  • letter from landlord about your housing situation
  • eviction notice
  • disconnection notice
  • police report about an incident involving your housing
  • moving company quote or invoice
  • list of repairs needed in home
  • list of expenses for renovations needed for independence in the home
  • proof of home ownership (mortgage, property ownership)

Record of Employment

This is an official form, filled out by your employer, that says how long you worked and how much you earned when you worked for that employer. When you leave your job for whatever reason, your employer must give you a Record of Employment within 5 days after your last day of employment.

You will first need to complete the application for temporary rent reduction.

You will then need to share all documents to support your declared income and prove your loss of income, including:

  • Your Record of Employment (ROE)
  • A reduction of hours verification from your employer
  • Pension statement
  • Pay statements.

Once you have your application completed with the supporting documents, you can submit these in person at 410 Jarvis Street in Whitehorse or the Yukon Housing Corporation Office in your community.

You can also email your application and documents to ykhouse@yukon.ca or mail them to:
Government of Yukon
Yukon Housing Corporation (Y-1)
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

If you are approved for the rent reduction, you will need to give proof of your gross income to the Yukon Housing Corporation on the 5th of every month. This information is needed to calculate your reduced rent. If you don’t give your proof of income, the Yukon Housing Corporation will base your rent on your annual income.

Last updated: March 25, 2021