Victims of Crime Emergency Fund

Easy application

Tax filing not required

The Victims of Crime Emergency Fund can get you help to replace, repair, or buy items that will impact your immediate safety. This fund is a last resort. It is designed for victims who haven’t been able to get support from other sources. It must be for emergency or immediate needs. You cannot get reimbursed for expenses you have already paid.

There is no compensation or benefits fund for victims of crime in Yukon.

The fund covers:

  • Emergency home repair like changing locks and repairing windows and doors.
  • Medical expenses such as eyeglasses, dental treatment, and prescription. Replacements Consider removing the period after prescription on the benefits website.
  • Crime scene clean-up.
  • Emergency accommodation.
  • Certain transportation costs.
  • Short-term counselling.
  • Emergency childcare and dependency support.

Victim Services will consider whether other items not mentioned are covered.

The fund does not cover:

  • Lost wages or business income due to time off work.
  • Pain and suffering.
  • Injuries covered by Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board.
  • Injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident that were not the result of a crime.
  • Repairs covered by Yukon Housing Corporation or Grey Mountain Housing.
  • Injuries sustained outside the Yukon.
  • Injuries, damages, or loss sustained while committing a crime.

You can learn more about the program by visiting the Government of Yukon website Victims of Crime Emergency Fund benefit page.

You do not need to report the crime to the police to apply.

You are eligible for the Victims of Crime Emergency Fund if:

  • You, your child or a dependent was a victim of a crime.
  • The crime happened in the Yukon in the last 60 days.
  • You have an emergency or immediate expense resulting from the crime.
  • You have an expense that affects your safety.
  • You have no other resources to cover that expense (such as social assistance, your First Nation, insurance or a community group).

Victim Services will consider whether other types of situations are eligible.

You will first need to contact Victim Services in person or by phone. No appointment is necessary to visit Victim Services in person. Victim Services offices are located at:

You can also email Victim Services at victim.services@yukon.ca

You will then need to fill out the Victims of Emergency Fund application form with a victim services worker. A decision will be made as soon as possible.

If your application is approved:

  • You and the victim services worker will work with vendors (such as a dentist, locksmith, or carpenter) for services
  • Victim Services will pay the vendor directly
  • You cannot get reimbursed for expenses you already paid.

If your application is denied:

  • You can ask for a review of the decision by contacting the supervisor of Victim Services.

Last updated: March 31, 2023