You can apply for the Child Care Subsidy if one or more of the following situations apply:
- You have a full or part-time job;
- You are looking for a job;
- You are attending school or a training program full- or part-time;
- You are receiving medical treatment;
- You or your child have a special need based on a professional assessment;
- You need to meet a short-term family crisis; or
- You are a grandparent and are the primary care provider of your grandchild. You do not need to have legal custody as long as you are the primary adult providing care for the grandchild.
A document (can be paper or digital) that your employer gives to you each time you are paid. It says how much you were paid, and how much was deducted (taken away) from your pay for things like taxes and other benefits (like Employment Insurance)
Notice of Assessment
A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.
Record of Employment
This is an official form, filled out by your employer, that says how long you worked and how much you earned when you worked for that employer. When you leave your job for whatever reason, your employer must give you a Record of Employment within 5 days after your last day of employment.
- Complete the child care subsidy application. You can also pick up an application at (a) the Early Learning and Child Care Unit (ELCC) office at the Department of Education building located at 1000 Lewes Blvd in Whitehorse, (b) your childcare centre (c) your family day home, (d) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure you have the required child care subsidy supporting forms and documentation.
- Submit your completed application and supporting forms and documents.
- In person: Early Learning and Child Care Unit Department of Education Buidling 1000 Lewes Blvd Whitehorse, YT
- By Mail:
Government of Yukon Early Learning and Child Care Unit (E-23) Box 2703 Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
Original signatures are required so scanned or emailed applications cannot be accepted.
- Your application will be reviewed to determine if you qualify.
- You will receive a letter informing you of the decision.
- If you are approved, this letter will identify the number of months you are approved for and the amount the government will pay on your behalf.
- Your childcare program will require you to sign a Child Care User Subsidy Eligibility form every month. They will submit the signed form on your behalf along with their billing form. Payment is made directly to the childcare provider.