Yukon Social Assistance

Complex application

Tax filing not required

Yukon Social Assistance provides financial help to people who do not have enough money to live on. It is meant to help cover the costs of basic needs and is a last resort after exploring all other sources of income.

It is important to note that if you receive social assistance you cannot leave the territory except for medical travel that is approved by the Medical Travel Program.

The basic needs covered by social assistance include:

  • Food.
  • Clothing.
  • Shelter.
  • Utilities.

While social assistance will not find housing for you, your social worker can help you. Social assistance includes a shelter allowance to cover expenses. This allowance is based on your family size and the community you live in.

Similarly, the cost of utilities is covered but there is a maximum limit. The utilities cost that is covered will depend on your family size and the time of year.

You can get Yukon Social Assistance if you do not have enough money to meet your basic needs and:

  • Your partner or spouse does not make enough money to meet your basic needs.
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You do not have a First Nation Status Number and/or the last working person in your relationship does not have a First Nation Status Number.

If you have a First Nation Status Number, you can ask for help from Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) or your First Nation’s office.

A social worker will look at your food, shelter, and utility needs, as well as any and all money you have received in the 31 days before you apply. If all the money you received in the last 31 days is less than you need, you will likely be eligible for social assistance.

If you are eligible for child support or maintenance, you must apply to the Maintenance Enforcement Program. This is considered a financial resource and you must report it as income on your application for social assistance.

Health card

For example:

  • valid health card with no photo, name and address
  • valid health card with photo, name and address
  • MCP (Medical Care Plan) number
  • Valid ambulance/dental services card
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour identification number
  • Department of Immigration, Skills and Labour file number (Income Support Card).

Photo ID

For example:

  • driver’s license
  • passport
  • other government-issued photo ID, such as a non-driver photo ID (Saskatchewan), British Columbia Services Card, Ontario photo card, General identification card (Nunavut), Voluntary ID (PEI), etc.

Proof of birth

A document with first name, last name, and date of birth. For example:

  • Birth certificate or birth registration
  • Hospital record of birth or record of the physician/nurse/midwife who attended the birth
  • Passport
  • Record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Note of decision or temporary resident’s permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • Certificate of Indian status card
  • Provincial identity card

Bank Statements

A document that is sent by your bank (usually every month) that lists all of the transactions for your bank account during that month.

Pay stubs

A document (can be paper or digital) that your employer gives to you each time you are paid. It says how much you were paid, and how much was deducted (taken away) from your pay for things like taxes and other benefits (like Employment Insurance)

Notice of Assessment

A statement from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to each taxpayer, every year, after you have filed a tax return. It tells you the amount of income tax you owe, or the amount of the refund you will get.

To start your social assistance application, you must set up an intake appointment with a social worker.

To schedule this appointment:

  • If you live outside of Whitehorse, phone the social assistance office in your community.
  • If you live in Whitehorse, phone the office in Whitehorse between 9 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. You will complete a pre-intake appointment over the phone with a social worker. The social worker will speak with you to see if you are eligible for social assistance. If you are eligible, they will set you up with an intake appointment and email you form to complete before the intake appointment.

This first meeting with a social worker will last 1 to 1.5 hours. During this appointment your social worker will see if you are eligible for social assistance. You will have to sign some documents including a consent form and have the chance to tell your story. You can also bring a support person to this appointment if you want to. If you are married or live with your partner, they must attend the appointment with you.

To prepare for this intake appointment, you must bring:

  • 2 pieces of personal ID for each family member
  • A rental form, lease agreement, or mortgage information
  • Documents that show money or assets (such as a Notice of Assessment for your last tax return or pay stubs)
  • The social assistance report form that the social worker emailed to you
  • The employment history form that the social worker emailed to you
  • Bank statement from the past 90 days. These should be printed on the day of your intake.

After your intake appointment and if you are approved to receive social assistance, your assistance is assessed each month. You apply for assistance by submitting your assistance application card (ARC) along with any require documents, such as:

  • Utility bills
  • Job search documentation
  • Rent receipts
  • Pay stubs
  • Bank statements
  • Proof of child support or maintenance

You can submit your ARC close to 1 month before your regular assistance cheque. If you submit your ARC after the 15th of the month you may receive your cheque late.

Last updated: April 2, 2021